Mississinawa Valley

School District

Nurse's News

Welcome to the Mississinawa Valley Local School Nurse's News page. This page will be maintained by the school nurse, and used to provide important health related information and forms.

The school nurse provides a variety of health services to the students and staff of Mississinawa Valley Schools.

Services provided include:

Administers first aid and emergency treatment as needed.

Administers prescribed and over the counter medications.

Trains appropriate staff to administer medications in the nurse's absence.

Performs screenings for the control and prevention of communicable diseases, vision, hearing, scoliosis, and head lice. These screenings will follow guidelines established by the Darke County Department of Health and the Ohio Department of Health.

Sends out referrals for failed screenings.

Coordinates for the Mobile Dentist to provide services to students at the school twice a year.

Coordinates educational presentations on health-related topics with professional volunteers in the community.

Maintains health records for the students, which include forms and immunizations as required by state law.

Maintains health care plans and emergency care plans for students with medical diagnoses that could result in potential complications while at school.

Participates on 504 and IEP teams.

Collaborates with medical providers and community resources to advocate for the student.

Disseminates educational material on the prevention and treatment of bed bugs in the school community.

Important to know:

Students going into 12th grade need to receive the meningococcal vaccine. Students going into 7th grade need both the meningococcal and Tdap vaccine. KG students must have a current physical along with their required vaccinations. Ohio law mandates that students be excluded from school if documentation of immunizations is not received by the 14th day of school, therefore it is very important that the paperwork does get turned by the 1st day of school.

Students requiring prescription medication use while at school must have the Prescribed Medication Administration Form signed by the student’s physician and turned in to the school nurse prior to being administered at school.

Students requiring over the counter medication use at school must have an Over the Counter Medication Permission Form signed by the parent and turned in to the school nurse prior to being administered at school.

Parents/guardians should notify the school nurse of a student’s medical condition (i.e. asthma, allergies, seizure disorders, bleeding disorders, diabetes, etc.) so the proper paperwork can be completed. Diagnosis specific Health Care Plan Forms are available to ensure that the student is treated appropriately in the event of an emergency.

Forms can be printed directly from this page or picked up in the school nurse clinic. 

If you have any questions or concerns please can contact Jamie Wisner, RN.

Nurse Clinic 937-968-4111 ext. 2015